Everyone seems to be going loco for the coco in the beauty world, but only recently in the health world it has got a lot of press. Why is the coconut the fairest of them all?
What Is Coconut Oil & How Is It Made?
Coconut oil comes from the meat of matured coconuts, known as kernel. Coconut milk is also made from this meat. Coconut oil can be extracted by various methods; including cold pressing, centrifuge-extracting and expeller-pressing. Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid. It’s made up of three acids; caprylic and capric and lauric fatty acids.
Not All Coconut Oils Are Equal
Expeller-pressed or Hydrogenated oils are not advised at all, as they have been over processed. These oils have been chemically altered and do not hold the same nutritional value. The centrifuge extracted is the highest quality of coconut oil as it can be extracted without heat and shortly followed by cold pressed oils. Hydrogenated oils have been extracted with no concern as to its treatment, and extracted at very high temperatures; in the process reducing the oil quality. If the oil does not solidify at room temperature, or have the coconut scent, it is more than likely processed. They are made of dry copra, which is cheaper in costs to produce but overall create a lower quality coconut oil. These over processed oils are often bleached whiter than normal coconut oils, and deoderised which is produces a different product than those made with the kernel.
- Adds shine to your hair; I found that my hair and scalp do not get dry
- Good for a healthy heart as it lowers cholesterol levels. Although high in saturated fat, coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils on the market.
- Grows eyebrows/eyelashes (I apply it at night and have seen a difference in length and growth)
- You can cook with it (and bake!)It makes a perfect replacement for butter or margarine and it provides a nutty, fresh flavour, particularly when cooking exotic cultural meals like curries
- Makes your skin smooth ( I use it at night to ensure I have smooth supple skin ). It also helps fight against skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Used as a carbohydrate instead of a fat, great for those wanting to lose weight and burn fat. It is also easily digested as it is a medium chain fatty acid
- Boosts your immune system against illnesses like the flu due to its antibacterial, anti fungal and antiviral properties. It also increases your ability to absorb minerals particularly calcium and magnesium; which is great for those who have bone issues.
Where Can I Get Coconut Oil?
You can get coconut oil from a range of health outlets like Holland & Barrett, As Nature Intended , Coconut Merchant, Vita Coco and many more! Remember to always check the labelling to ensure you are getting the best in nutrition from your Coconut Oil!
Coconut Oil is undoubtedly my favourite oil to use for everyday use!